Drinking Age Restrictions

If you are planning to drink alcohol while you are travelling, it is imperative you check the most recent drinking age laws, particularly if you are under 21. Most countries have a law that allows 18-year-olds to drink and in some countries, the age is below that but the following countries have different rules:

It is illegal to drink alcohol in the following countries:

Kuwait, Yemen, Afghanistan, Brunei, Bangladesh, Iran, Libya, Saudi Arabia and Sudan

Age limit of 21 years old:

USA, UAE, Qatar, Micronesia, Pakistan, Palau, Kazakhstan, Sri Lanka, Northern Mariana Islands, Oman, Guam, Solomon Islands and Tajikistan

Age limit of 20 years old:

Paraguay, Iceland, Japan and Thailand

Age limit of 19 years old:

Canada and Nicaragua

What to do if you have been spiked

Everyone is aware of their personal tolerance to alcohol so if you feel odd, nauseous, tipsy or wasted and you know that you cannot be drunk, it is possible that your drink has been spiked with either drugs or alcohol.

If so, immediately get to a place of safety. If you are with close friends, tell them of your worries and get them to take you home as quickly as possible. Once safely home, ask them to stay with you until the effects of the drug have worn off.

However, be very sure that you implicitly trust the person or friend you are asking. Many victims of DFSA (Drug Facilitated Sexual Abuse) have been attacked by people they know, by work mates, colleagues, friends or acquaintances, and in some cases, the person they went on a date with that night.

If you are alone or with a stranger, go to the landlord or pub/bar manager and tell them of your fears. Get the landlord to put you in his private accommodation or an office whilst they ring a taxi, a trusted friend, or your parents to help get you home safely. If at all possible, always make sure that you are accompanied by a trusted friend. 

If you fear you’ve had sex whilst under the influence of drugs taken unwillingly through a drink being spiked, and if you wish the police to be involved - report it!

Go straight to the police, preferably the specialist officers dealing with rape and sexual abuse, and insist that they take blood and urine samples. It could prove to be vital forensic evidence. In order to establish a case, it is vital that the police have the opportunity to take these samples as soon as possible as the drugs used in DFSA pass through the system very quickly (some within 12 hours, others in 48). It is also advisable to make sure you are accompanied by a friend, relation or even better, a solicitor.